Polo came to Austria around 1910 thanks to Prince Otto Windisch-Graetz, Prince Vinzenz Auersperg, Count (and later prince) Ulrich Ferdinand Kinsky and Count Gizycki who founded the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna on the 23rd of October 1910.
In the early days, the games inKottingbrunn attracted an enthusiastic audience from Vienna, Baden and even places as distant as Semmering. This was the beginning of what later became known as the centre of polo in Central Europe.
The Jockey Club, at that time owned by Kottingbrunn, incorporated Freudenau, allowing the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna to function on their own grounds. Soon after this, and before the season of 1913, the clubhouse was opened. Nowadays it belongs to the Golf Club of Vienna. The promising start was abruptly
ended by the outbreak of World War I. It was not until 1925 that a polo ball was hit once again on its grounds. In the following years polo took anupward trend. The number of players rose to 38. Stables were built at the Club, and the stands were enlarged. With growing international participation, Viennese polo reached one of its high points in the season of 1929 with 53 players from 8 countries, and 230 polo ponies. Up until mid-June 8 Cups were held. Admission of excellent players – English and the US in particular – elevated the level of polo to that never seen before in Vienna.
In the spring of 1932 the signs of the world economic crisis began to overshadow Vienna. In an extraordinary
general meeting of the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna the decision was made to refrain from organizing polo events. Nonetheless the club house in Freudenau remained one of the most popular meeting places of the Viennese society during the season of 1932. In 1938/39 all polo associations were dissolved by the National Socialist commissioners due to decadent English influence, as officially stated.
It took more than 50 years to re-establish polo in Austria. Baron Richard Drasche-Wartinberg, whose
grandfather was one of the founding members of the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna, reintroduced the sport to Austria in March 1991 by opening the Polo Club Schloss Ebreichsdorf.
This endeavour generated a polo renaissance in Austria. The castle grounds were remodeled, polo fields and
stables were rebuilt. The continuous training by German and Argentine coaches led to the establishment of a group of regular players at the Polo Club Schloss Ebreichsdorf. Polo in Austria soon started to develop, improve and grow. It continues to do so until now.