Polo was established in Austria around 1910 thanks to Prince Otto Windisch-Graetz, Prince Vinzenz Auersperg, Count (and later Prince) Ulrich Ferdinand Kinsky and Count Gizycki who founded the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna on the 23rd of October 1910.
In the early days the games in Kottingbrunn were watched by an enthusiastic audience from Vienna, Baden and localities up to the Semmering. This was the beginning of what later on became known as the centre of polo in Central Europe.
The Jockey Club, to whom the castle of Kottingbrunn belonged, put also the location in Freudenau at their disposal. In this way, the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna had its own grounds. Shortly afterwards, right before the season of 1913, the clubhouse was opened. Today this clubhouse belongs to the Golf Club of Vienna.
The promising start was abruptly ended though by the outbreak of World War I. It wasn't until 1925 that a polo ball was hit once again on the lawns. In the following years polo took an upward trend. The number of players rose to 38. Stables were built at the club and the stands were enlarged. With growing international participation, polo sport in Vienna reached one of its high points in the season of 1929 with 53 players from 8 countries and 230 polo ponies participating. Up until mid-June they played 8 cups. The joining in of excellent players – English and American players in particular – led to a level of polo play never seen before in Vienna.
In the spring of 1932 the signs of the world economic crisis began to overshadow also Vienna. In an extraordinary general meeting of the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna the decision was made to refrain from organising polo events. Nonetheless the clubhouse in Freudenau remained one of the most popular meeting places of the Viennese society during the season of 1932. In 1938/39 all polo sport associations were dissolved by National Socialist commissioners due to decadent English influence, as they said.
It took more than 50 years to re-establish polo in Austria. Baron Richard Drasche-Wartinberg, whose grandfather was one of the founding members of the Riding and Polo Club of Vienna, re-introduced polo to Austria in March 1991 by opening the Polo Club Schloss Ebreichsdorf.
This endeavour generated a polo renaissance in Austria. The castle grounds were remodelled, polo fields and stables were built. The continuous training by German and Argentine trainers led to the establishment of a group of regular players at the Polo Club Schloss Ebreichsdorf. Polo sport in Austria soon started to develop, improve and grow and continues to do so.